Saturday, March 12, 2016

Pay it Foward

“Sail beyond the horizon; fly higher than you ever thought possible; magnify your existence by helping others; be kind to people and animals of all shapes and sizes; be true to what you value most; shine your light on the world; and be the person you were born to be.”                                                                                                                           Blake Beattie
I often find myself thinking about the movie Pay It Forward and the story of a young boy who did three good deeds for others in need.  In return all he wanted was that they pass on the good deed to three other people and keep the cycle going.  As I walked back to work after a Starbucks run I met two of my colleagues on their way.  For some reason I reached into my pocket and pulled out the gift card that I had just used and said, "I am not sure what is left on it so enjoy whatever it has."  The two of them were so surprised and said that I didn't have to give them my card and I assured them that it was perfectly fine.  As I continued my walk back to work I recalled the movie and thought that this was not only a wonderful idea but also a great Lenten practice.  One good deed might not seem like much, but if everyone did something good for someone else, then the cycle of generosity and kindness can spark us to become better people.  Isn't that what Lent is really all about -- helping us to become better people by prayer, sacrifice and almsgiving.  Perhaps when Lent ends we can continue the practice of Pay It Forward!
Pat Schifini, OSU

No comments:

Post a Comment