Sunday, August 11, 2024

Nineteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time

 

In today’s reading, we hear Jesus say again, as he did in last week's Gospel, that he is the bread of life. We also hear Jesus add that he is the living bread. Both of these statements help us understand better the gift that Jesus gives us in the Eucharist. We celebrate this gift of Jesus each time we gather for Mass. We believe that receiving Jesus in the Eucharist will lead us to eternal life.

Whenever I hear or read this Gospel I am always reminded of a song I learned as a child, Suzanne Toolan's I Am the Bread of Life.

I am the Bread of Life
You who come to Me shall not hunger;
And who believe in Me shall not thirst,
No one can come to Me
Unless the Father beckons.

And I will raise you up,
And I will raise you up,
And I will raise you up
On the last day!

The bread that I will give
Is My flesh for the life of the world,
And if you eat of this Bread,
You shall live forever,
You shall live forever!

Unless you eat
The Flesh of the Son of Man
And drink of His Blood,
And drink of His Blood,
You shall not have life within you.

I am the Resurrection,
I am the Life
If you believe in Me,
Even though you die,
You shall live forever.

These words mirror today's Gospel for me and call me to reflect on what receiving the Eucharist means to me. Take time today to reflect on what the Eucharist means to you and remember that the Bread of Life is always with us.



No comments:

Post a Comment