Friday, March 30, 2012

Good Actions and Speaking Up

Today’s Gospel from John 10: 31-42 states the following:

The Jews picked up rocks to stone Jesus.
Jesus answered them, "I have shown you many good works from my Father.
For which of these are you trying to stone me?"
The Jews answered him, "We are not stoning you for a good work but for blasphemy.”

According to the Jews, his blasphemy was that he was saying he was God. Even though he was getting stoned for that, he would not deny it. Jesus would not change who he was or say something different.

I am so struck by this today because I am thinking how often do I not speak up when I see something wrong or when I do speak up, I say something that is not going to cause any conflict or have people think less of me since I don’t agree with their statements. But Jesus stuck by his beliefs and the truth of who he was.

I need to more truthful to others about what my beliefs are. So often especially in political discussion, I back down. I hope that during the upcoming Holy Week, I can pray for the grace to be able to use my voice to speak my truth at all times. Often I think the good weeks I do will show my beliefs. But more is needed. My words and speech can also do the same. Just as Jesus did, I might have to suffer because of my words.

Thank you Jesus for your truth speaking and help me to speak up more about unjust practices and statements.

Sr. Jeannie

No comments:

Post a Comment