Sunday, October 15, 2023

Peace, Peace, Peace

 

For the last several days we have been inundated with images from the media of the start of yet another war in the Middle East between Israel and Hamas.  The images have been violent, gruesome, and unfathomable.  Innocent victims have been kidnapped, slaughtered and the world is truly on edge.  There have been warnings of even greater attacks and atrocities.  I have felt once again a profound sadness as these events unfold.  Like many, I have had to turn off the news because of the gory images being shown.  As I listened to the news last night, they interviewed a psychiatrist who spoke to the images that are overwhelming people.  I admit that I will most likely never fully understand the reasons for the violence, but I know that I am called to pray for peace in our hearts, our homes, and our universe.  There are so many places in our world that are experiencing war, terrorism, and fear.

I have found myself tunring to two prayers these days -- 1) the World Peace Prayer and 2)the Prayer of St. Francis.

1) Lead me from death to life, from falsehood to truth.
Lead me from despair to hope, from fear to trust.
Lead me from hate to love, from war to peace.
Let peace fill our hearts, our world, our universe.

2) Lord, make me an instrument of your peace: where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy.
O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console, to be understood as to understand, to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive, it is in pardoning that we are pardoned, and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen.

Perhaps it is a good time for all of us to select our favorite prayer for peace and storm heaven with prayers for peace in our hearts, our homes, and our universe.



No comments:

Post a Comment