Sunday, October 8, 2023

Goodbye to Summer



 

“Goodbye to Summer”

Impermanence, transformation, seasonal change, goodbyes. Call it by whatever name, it’s bound to leave a crusty mark on my reluctant spirit.

The time has come to end my light-filled summertime when I floated on emerald wings.   Now I stand here at the patio door looking out at naked trees. 

Overnight, determined rain pressed nearly every leaf to the ground;   nly a landscape of emptiness remains where once lived contented fullness.

I take a deep breath, give a sigh of resignation, gather my precious remembrance of those succulent months while my memory takes one last, grateful look at summer’s dewy dawns.

Now is the time to yield, to enter the next turning, accept the stark contrast of barrenness in place of fullness.

As I turn away from the emptied trees I take my generous basket of summer with me, trusting it has stored enough to see me through until the time of melting snow.

 ~ Joyce Rupp (My Soul Feels Lean)

The above poem came to my mailbox this week.  It spoke deeply to me as I wanted to hang on to summer and not embrace the change of seasons.  I wasn't ready to put away my summer wear in exchange for fall sweaters and warm clothing.  The change of seasons has certainly come accuentated by deliuge rain and winds.  May the days ahead be filled with many blessings for all.



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment