Thursday, August 23, 2018

Celebrating God's Abundant Love


Today I celebrate my thirty first anniversary of religious profession.  It is hard to believe that so many years have passed since I made my first profession as an Ursuline Sister.  I have so many memories of that special day and it is certainly a day for me to give thanks to God for the endless love I have experienced.  In some ways it was like yesterday that I said my initial “yes” to continuing to allow my relationship to grow.  So much has changed since that beautiful August morning.  Many of the people who were there are now in Heaven.  Our Church has seen its share of shame and disgrace during these years.  Yet what drew me to enter continues to sustain me today – God’s love and serving God’s people. 

When I made my first profession my invitation quoted Psalm 27, “One thing, I ask, this alone I seek, to dwell in the house of the Lord all my days.”  The years have flown by but the sentiment remains the same I have found my treasure and nothing will change that reality.  As our Church goes through the abuse crisis I remind myself that the Church is the People of God not the buildings and hierarchy.  My desire is to serve the People of God and I pray that I may have the fortitude to persevere during this difficult times.  St. Angela, told her followers to beware of the pestilent times and seek good in all you do.  With Jesus and Angela’s help I pray for the grace to continue to follow my heart’s desire and serve with joy and gratitude for all the good God has done in me.

Pat Schifini, OSU

No comments:

Post a Comment