Thursday, August 4, 2016

Retreat

Being on retreat this week has been a real gift for me.  The Christian retreat can be defined in the most simplest of terms as a definite time (from a few hours in length to a month) spent away from one's normal life for the purpose of reconnecting, usually in prayer, with God. When I first began to look up the definition I was struck by the emphasis on running away from danger, etc.  My retreat has been anything but running away.  These days have been gifted with discovering God's ever deepening love and my deeper connection with God through prayer and reflection.  My favorite part of going on retreat is getting away from the busyness of life and having the time to just be.  The silence and solitude that I experienced these days has truly lifted my spirit and I feel re-energized and refreshed.  These days have gone by so quickly and the weather has been very nice.  I had the time to read two wonderful books these days:  When Breath Becomes AIR by Paul Kalanithi and The Name of God is Mercy by Pope Francis.  If you ever are looking for a good book to read I would highly recommend these.  May these days of retreat continue to live on in my everyday living.

Pat Schifini, OSU


Two of my favorite places to pray and reflect.



No comments:

Post a Comment