Thursday, March 28, 2013


Today we celebrate Holy Thursday the beginning of the sacred Triduum.  Christians all around the world today gathered to celebrate the Mass of the Lord's Supper.  At this reenactment of the Passover Meal we recall that Jesus washed the feet of his disciples -- his friends.  Tonight I participated in the washing of the feet in our local parish.  I was one of the twelve people asked to have their foot washed.  I was struck by the group eleven women and one man. There was a young couple who will be married in June, a member of the Parish Council, one of the altar servers, her mother and several other women who are active members of the parish and a seven year old girl who will make her first Communion in April.  The one who struck me the most was the seven year old, Lacey, whose mother died in January after a battle with cancer.  She was so happy to be a part of the foot washing and her family was very proud too. The experience for me was a humbling one and one I will need to keep reflecting on during this sacred time.  May this night bring peace and comfort to all!

Sr. Pat Schifini, OSU

No comments:

Post a Comment