Friday, March 29, 2013



Good Friday has always been a perplexing day for me.  I always remember asking the question, "Why do we call it "Good?"  It became a little clearer for me when I was praying this morning and read the following poem of St. Teresa of Avila, a mystic, religious reformer and the first woman named a Doctor of the Church.  In her poem "The Way of the Cross" she writes that "Within the cross is life and consolation.   It alone is the road leading to heaven."  Her poem goes on but it was this first stanza that struck me.  As I prayed with it I was struck by the images that came to mind as I pondered and reflected.  I thought of the physical cross which would have begun as a tree and was later fashioned by human hands into a tool to inflict a horrible death.  I was also struck by the beauty of this day.  The sun was glorious and shining brightly and it was very quiet outdoors.  Walking in my favorite park there were many people outside many in a reflective stance.  I found this quite to be an important element for today.  When I was at our service this afternoon I was asked to be the voice in the reading of the Passion which gave me the sense of greater involvement. Perhaps each of these experiences will help to answer my initial question.  In the meantime I wait, ponder and pray over the events of this "Good" Friday.

Sr. Pat Schifini, OSU

No comments:

Post a Comment