Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Presentation of Jesus in the Temple

Today is the Feast of the Presentation of Jesus in the Temple. As a young child, I was always taught to think of this as Jesus' Baptism-even though it is not truly the same.

In reality, we are celebrating the fact that today Mary having given birth to Jesus brought him and an offering of either a lamb and a dove or pigeon, or two doves or pigeons to their Temple to be cleansed by prayers. This was part of the Mosaic law at that time.

What I'm really struck by today is the word Presentation and what it means in my life. Presentation for me is about how I look and sound to others and how I share material that I know. It's what I show the outside world. One's Presentation is so important.

I'm also thinking of the fact that when Mary presented Jesus in the Temple, she also brought along offerings of sacrifice. What offerings of sacrifice do I need to share with others? What needs to be cleansed by prayers in my life?

Jeannie Humphries, osu

No comments:

Post a Comment