Wednesday, March 9, 2011

An Idea for Lent

Today is Ash Wednesday. Lent 2011 starts today!!!

Many people give up "something" like candy, cake or soda during Lent as a sign of sacrifice and as a tangible reminder of the suffering Jesus went through for us.

In my childhood home growing up, Mom always encouraged me to also do something extra (i.e.- shop for an elderly neighbor, watch one less t.v. show and pray instead, go to an extra Mass during the week etc.) I remember teaching 4th grade at St. Philip Neri School in the Bronx and reading that Lent was a time of prayer, almsgiving and sacrifice. I guess my mom took almsgiving to mean a sharing/giving of my time to Jesus.

So I always find myself giving up something and doing something extra for Lent. This year, I am giving up soda for Lent and my extra action will be taking a daily walk and praying to music on my IPOD.

For those of you women readers 50 and under, here is an invitation to an upcoming prayer and conversation gathering.

Join the Ursuline Sisters and other women for prayer and conversation on Lent. This will take place on Sunday, March 13, 2011 from 2-4 p.m. at the Ursuline Provincialate 1338 North Avenue, New Rochelle, NY Feel free to bring a friend. We would love to have you in our midst!!

Sr. Jeannie Humphries, osu

No comments:

Post a Comment