Monday, March 21, 2011

Different Directions of Lent

Last Monday, March 14th, I received an email from a fellow Ursuline Sister, Sr. Mary Beisiegel, osu, who currently lives and ministers in St. Louis.

Sr. Mary writes:

Wanted to share a Lenten thought with you - heard this on Ash Wednesday at mass.

The three focuses of Lent - Alms giving; Prayer; Fasting - are 'directional' depending on what we need to work on.

Alms giving is sharing of ourselves - an outward direction.

Prayer is an upward direction - an invitation to work on our relationship with God.

Fasting - an inward direction - to work on what needs to be corrected/adjusted within us.

The priest further asked us to reflect on which direction was most in need of work in our personal lives as we began our Lenten exercise
.

We are now in the second week of Lent and this keeps coming back to me.

What direction is in most need of work at this point in my life?

I need to spend some time thinking about it.

I absolutely love the different directions to turn my focus.

How about you?

Sr. Jeannie Humphries, osu

No comments:

Post a Comment