Today’s readings challenge us to evaluate what we truly value and treasure in our daily lives. In the first reading God invites Solomon to ask for anything, and he chooses an understanding heart over wealth or power. Solomon asks God for an understanding heart instead of power and might. Wisdom is the ability to see the world through God's eyes and make choices that align with His will. What would I ask God for?
The parables of the hidden treasure and the pearl of great price show that the Kingdom of God demands total commitment. In both stories, the finder sells everything joyfully because the prize outweighs the cost. Following Christ requires letting go of attachments that keep us from putting God first. One of my favorite songs is Dan Schutte's I Found the Treasure. This song became the theme for my final profession as an Ursuline Sister. It spoke to me some 39 years ago and still speaks to me today. It reminds me of all that I am called to embrace and follow.
Lord, to whom can I go?You alone speak the words of life.You alone on the earthor in heaven aboveare my Savior and my Lord.I found the treasure in a field,that neither time nor death can steal.I will sell what I have,give all that I am,to hold this treasure as my own.Jesus, Lord of my life,I can ask for nothing morethan to see and believethat my life lies in you,in the kingdom of my Lord.© Daniel Schutte and New Dawn Music 1985.
No comments:
Post a Comment