Sunday, April 28, 2024

Fifth Sunday of Easter

 

Today’s Gospel always reminds me of a song I learned many years ago.  The song’s title was “Go Ye, Go Ye Into the World.” The lyrics as I remember them are:

Go ye, go ye into the world, and make disciples of all the nations.
Go ye, go ye into the world, and I will be with you there!

Go ye, go ye into the world, and take the gospel to all the people.
Go ye, go ye into the world, and I will be with you there!

Go ye, go ye into the world, and tell the story to all believers.
Go ye, go ye into the world, and I will be with you there!

Go ye now and tell the story to all believers.
Go ye now, and I will be with you there!

For me this song summarizes today’s Gospel reading. Jesus says, It was not you who chose me but I who chose you, appointed you to go out and bear fruit that will remain.” This call is one we are invited to embrace daily. Sometimes life’s burdens get in the way and our faith falters. It is during these times that we are invited to dig deep within and allow the Holy Spirit to empower us, to strengthen us, and allow our faith to be expanded.  All of us are called to be disciples of Jesus who strive to live that great commandment that Jesus called us to.  May we always remind each other just how expansive the risen Christ really is and how much He desires that we remain in Him always.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment