Sunday, January 14, 2024

Second Sunday in Ordinary TIme

In our first reading today, we hear the familiar story of Samuel in the Temple.  Samuel is in the Temple when he hears the word of God for the first time.  In Samuel’s time the word of God was scarce, and Eli helps him to listen to God. Eli in his wisdom tells Samuel to respond when he hears the voice of God with, “Speak Lord your servant is listening.”

In today’s Gospel, Jesus invites his first disciples to come and stay with him. John the Baptist introduces the disciples to Jesus, and they are invited to have their own experience of God. Much like Samuel they are invited to say, “Speak Lord your servant is listening.”  They are called to leave all and follow Jesus in uncharted ways.  They are called to leave all that was familiar and embrace what was not.  The disciples were challenged to have tremendous faith, courage, and trust in someone who they had just met.

One of my favorite songs is The Servant Song by Richard Gillard.

Will you let me be your servant let me be as Christ to you
Pray that I might have the grace to let you be my servant too

We are pilgrims on the journey we are travelers on the road
We are here to help each other walk the mile and bear the load

I will hold the Christ light for you in the nighttime of your fear
I will hold my hand out to you speak the peace you long to hear.

I will weep when you are weeping when you laugh, I'll laugh with you
I will share your joy and sorrow till we've seen this journey through

Will you let me be your servant let me be as Christ to you
Pray that I might have the grace to let you be my servant too

May we have the grace, like the first disciples, to be servants of Jesus and all those we encounter on our life’s journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment