Sunday, December 17, 2023

Gaudete Sunday

 

Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

I have always loved the third Sunday of Advent – Gaudete Sunday.  It is the Sunday when we light the pink candle.  We hear the story of John the Baptist, a witness to Christ.  He knew Jesus and revealed what he knew of him.  We are invited this day to continue the journey of getting to know Jesus.  It is the day when we are invited to let joy fill our hearts as we prepare once again for the coming of Christ into our hearts.

On Friday, I had the opportunity to attend the Christmas show of a friend’s school.  This school is for students with special learning issues.  It was a truly profound experience of joy for me.  Each student performed with their whole heart, mind and entire being.  My heart was filled with joy watching these young people sing, dance, and perform the Nativity of the Lord.  The entire room was filled with excitement as the show began. Each level presented two songs, were involved in the choir, and the older students presented the story of that night long, long ago when Jesus was born in a stable.  There were shepherds, kings, angels, joining Mary, Joseph, and the baby (a doll) on the stage. The students performed with reverence, respect, and were filled with joy.

Friday night truly began a sense of Christmas spirit for me.  Watching these young people filled me with a tremendous sense of joy and anticipation.  I felt that the show touched my heart in a very special way. Perhaps it was the fact that I was in the front row in a reserved seat or that I was asked to take pictures of the performance that enabled me to feel totally absorbed in the show.  I took about 150 pictures trying to capture the experience for the principal.  May shows like this and other Christmas classics carry us through this season with hope, faith, and joy!



No comments:

Post a Comment