Sunday, July 17, 2022

Martha and Mary

 

Jesus entered a village where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him.  She had a sister named Mary who sat beside the Lord at his feet listening to him speak.  Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving?  Tell her to help me."  The Lord said to her in reply, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things.  There is need of only one thing.  Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her."  Luke 10: 38 – 42

Today’s Gospel is one of my favorites.  I find the story of these two sisters to be a wonderful display of the relationship between two siblings.  Martha who feels so comfortable with Jesus that she tells Him, “Tell her to help me.”  I have had the experience of telling my mother to tell my sister to help me.  It seems like a simple statement, but is it?  Imagine telling Jesus what to do.  Sometimes I wonder if I do this when I pray.  I feel like I am telling Jesus how to answer my prayers.  Bargaining, desire, fear, and anxiety are all happening at the same time.  I worry over how things are going, how family and friends are behaving, what is the best solution to a situation, etc.

It is in this moment that as I tell Jesus what to do that I finally listen to His response.  “You are anxious and worried about many things. There is need of only one thing.”   Over the years I have heard this response many times.  I know in my heart that Jesus Himself is the only thing I need.  He is God and with Him all things are possible.  He will take care of everything.



No comments:

Post a Comment