Sunday, May 1, 2022

Third Sunday of Easter

 

On this third Sunday of Easter, Jesus continues to reveal himself again to his disciples at the Sea of Tiberias. The disciples had been fishing all night and hadn’t caught anything.  Jesus encourages them even though they did not catch any fish. He told them to cast their nets on the other side.  Listening to Jesus, they caught an abundance of fish. 

The disciples had to be emotionally and physically exhausted.  Yet, they listened to Jesus’ command to “cast their nets on the other side.”  Listening to Jesus and recognizing him is the first step.  We are called to renew our faith even amid feelings of emptiness and exhaustion.  Our living faith helps us move from doubt to confidence in the Lord who loves us beyond all imagining. 

As I look back on my own life, I realize that Jesus accepts me where I am and encourages me to keep growing and developing my own relationship with Him.  I am continually called to a deeper more mature faith.  Jesus heals, strengthens, and forgives.  I know in my heart that God is always providing opportunities for me to recognize His love and compassion.  The saying, “God is good all the time, and all the time God is good” comes to mind. 

After the meal, Jesus begins speaking to Simon Peter. Jesus and the other disciples remembered Peter’s denial of Jesus. However, in this conversation with Peter, many scholars believe that Jesus forgives him. In the same way that Peter denied Jesus three times, Jesus asked Peter three times, “Do you love me?”  I wonder how Peter felt being asked by Jesus three times.  Did he feel not worthy, not trusted, or simply awful?  Let us remember that following Jesus in a life of service we find our way to grow closer to God.  May we always remember God’s abundant love for us.


















No comments:

Post a Comment