Sunday, October 4, 2020

 

Today we celebrate the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi.  As the Season of Creation comes to and end this Sunday let’s pray once more the Canticle of Creation written by St. Francis.  The Canticle of the Sun in its praise of God thanks Him for such creations as "Brother Fire" and "Sister Water". It is an affirmation of Francis' personal theology as he often referred to animals as brothers and sisters, rejected material accumulation and sensual comforts in favor of "Lady Poverty".: 

O Most High, all-powerful, good Lord God, to you belong praise, glory,
honor and all blessing.  Be praised, my Lord, for all your creation and especially for our Brother Sun,
who brings us the day and the light; he is strong and shines magnificently.  O Lord, we think of you when we look at him.  Be praised, my Lord, for Sister Moon, and for the stars which you have set shining and lovely in the heavens.  Be praised, my Lord, for our Brothers Wind and Air and every kind of weather by which you, Lord, uphold life in all your creatures.  Be praised, my Lord, for Sister Water, who is very useful to us, and humble and precious and pure.  Be praised, my Lord, for Brother Fire, through whom you give us light in the darkness:  he is bright and lively and strong.  Be praised, my Lord, for Sister Earth, our Mother, who nourishes us and sustains us, bringing forth fruits and vegetables of many kinds and flowers of many colors.  Be praised, my Lord, for those who forgive for love of you; and for those who bear sickness and weakness in peace and patience - you will grant them a crown. Be praised, my Lord, for our Sister Death, whom we must all face.  I praise and bless you, Lord, and I give thanks to you, and I will serve you in all humility.
    Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment