Sunday, June 24, 2018

What's in a Name




One day I asked my mother where my name came from and her response surprised me.  She told me that she wanted to name me after her best friend whose name was Patsy but my father would have nothing to do with that so I was called Patricia.  I am forever grateful to my father for sparing me from that fate. 

In today’s Gospel we have a scene where Zechariah and Elizabeth give birth to a son whom they named John.  Elizabeth broke with tradition by announcing her son’s name and Zechariah affirmed this to be true.  We have an awesome God.  A God who is full of surprises and love.  Our God gives us so many blessings for which we should be grateful.  Zechariah and Elizabeth were servants in the temple and God heard their prayers and granted them a son.  This child would grow up and take his place in salvation history.  God heard and answered their prayers.  God always gives us more than we ask for or imagine.  Like Zechariah and Elizabeth we too are called to believe, trust and hope that all shall be well.

Pat Schifini, OSU

No comments:

Post a Comment