Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Childlike Simplicity

At that time Jesus exclaimed: "I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike.  Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will.  All things have been handed over to me by my Father.  No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him." Matthew 11: 25 - 27


Reflecting on this Gospel passage reminds me of the importance of having a childlike trust and reliance on our loving God.  When you look at a little child you can see how they rely on their parents for everything.  Children trust their parents with a certitude that is hard to fathom.   Jesus calls us today to have the same openness to God’s love as a child does.   We are called to respond to this invitation with the simple trust of a child.  As I watch my twin nephews grow and develop I find myself amazed at how they play and communicate.  I recall my youth when all I wanted to do was go to the park and go on the swings and climb the “monkey bars.”  Jesus calls us to enjoy life as a child would – simply and happily.  May we have the courage to surrender to that invitation and live in happiness and peace.

Pat Schifini, OSU

No comments:

Post a Comment