Friday, January 13, 2017

A Life Well Lived

I am watching the live stream of the funeral of NYPD Detective Steven McDonald.  About ten years ago, we had the pleasure of having him come and speak to our school community.  It was an amazing assembly and his message is the one he lived every day of his life.  When he was here he gave out cards with a Pledge of Non-Violence on it as well as a reflection on You Are Very Special.  I have that simple card on my desk in my office and I often read it.  As we honor him this day let us take a moment to recommit ourselves to non-violence.

I promise that I will do my best to refrain from participating in acts of violence in my home, in my school, and in my neighborhood.  I also promise to stand with other human beings who are treated unfairly.  By doing this I make know how special I am.  I will remember that I want to live in a peaceful world, and by taking this pledge I will be doing my part to achieve this goal.

Pat Schifini, OSU

No comments:

Post a Comment