Friday, August 15, 2014

Assumption of Mary

Today we celebrate the Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary!  As I prayed this morning I was struck with the profound memories I have of this Feast Day.  It is more that just having to go to Church during my summer vacation.  One of the traditions of our neighborhood growing up was a special procession on this day.  The Villa Avenue Feast was a highlight of this day.  All the girls would be invited to dress up in white dresses and would wear blue capes as we processed with the statue of Our Lady through the streets and down the Grand Concourse ending the procession at our parish church, St. Philip Neri.  The evening would culminate with a special mass.  As I prayed this morning I was struck by Mary's "yes" once again.  A very simple word to say, yet it is probably one of the most difficult ones to utter.  Mary said yes to an invitation that changed the world and history.  Our "yeses" may not be as significant but are just as important.  Let us take some time today to say "yes" to the God of love and compassion.  

Blessings of peace and joy,

Sr. Pat



No comments:

Post a Comment