Monday, October 10, 2011

Friendship

Today is my friend Helene's birthday. I met her as a young child playing in our neighborhood park. So we say to people-we've known each other since we were four. People area always amazed by that. However, I have to admit I've known many of my friends since grammar school at St. Philip Neri and added others on since high school at the Academy of Mt. St. Ursula. Maybe it's from being born and raised in the Bronx- a great place to grow up in my opinion.

This weekend has been birthday celebrations with some of these friends-Friday, I met Kathy for dinner- I've known her since High school and then on Saturday we went to a suprise party for Tracey's 40th- another friend from high school!! See the recurring theme!!

I am also blessed with friendships from other parts of my life-College at the College of New Rochelle, Graduate School at Fordham University, Teaching at Flanders Elementary School in Malone, NY and many friends I've met through other friends and nun friends I've met through Giving Voice. Thank God for these many opportunities!!!

I am so grateful for my friendships-both the "old" and the "new". Just like the song I learned in Girls Scouts so long ago- Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other is gold.

Sr. Jeannie

No comments:

Post a Comment