Sunday, July 31, 2016

When Breath Becomes Air

Today I did something I don't often do, I sat down to read a book and finished it in one afternoon.  I read the book, When Breath Becomes Air, by Paul Kalanithi.  I have  had the book for some time and I brought it on retreat with me this week.  The book is the story of Paul being diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer at the age of  thirty six.  Paul was an aspiring neurosurgeon in his last year of residency when he received the diagnose.  The book chronicles his transformation from a naive medical student to a medical patient, a new father and being able to confront his own mortality.  It was a engaging story of a life well lived for it showed the real life struggles of the patient and those who are caring for him.  Paul faced his death with the same courage he pursued his medical career with.  It is filled with many life lessons and many thoughts to reflect on.  I would recommend reading it but be prepared for the myriad of emotions that come as a result!

Pat Schifini, OSU

No comments:

Post a Comment