Friday, June 29, 2012

Memories


Summer just recently officially started in the Northern Hemisphere of our world and being that I live in the United States, my summer has just begun.  Thank God!!   When I think of summer, I think of 4 Rs-rest, relax, re-energize and recreation.  The beautiful weather that we in New York State experience at this time of year allows me to experience those 4 Rs.   

Many of my greatest childhood memories have to do with some summer vacation activities my family participated in.   Growing up in New York City, my parents always made sure I enjoyed certain city events in the summer-Yankee Games, Mets Games, Statue of Liberty, Bronx Zoo, New York Botanical Gardens, Coney Island, Long Beach, Rockaway, the Circle Line etc..  But we also always went to the Catskill Mountains where I got to swim, camp, fish, hike, go horseback riding, collect bugs and toast marshmallows over a great big bonfire.  Mom and Dad made sure I enjoyed my surroundings no matter where I was at the time.  It definitely was a wonderful childhood.

As I reflected on these memories, I thought too of our sisters and brothers in the Northern Hemisphere who are experiencing winter at this time.  I have great memories of winter fun too-skiing, sledding, making snowmen, snowball fights, hot cocoa and fireplaces.  You make the best with what you can.  That is how I define character.

I’m realizing that memory making is what assists me in enjoying life!!  However, the events don’t just stand out on their own- I also remember my friends and family members who participated in these great fun-filled activities with me.  The laughter, the jokes, the thrills are what make each one so meaningful for me.

What memories do you have of summer and winter fun?  Is there a way you can recreate some of that feeling you experienced participating in that event?

Sr. Jeannie Humphries, osu


No comments:

Post a Comment