Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Finding of Jesus in the Temple

Today's Gospel is Luke 2:41-51 which tells the story of Jesus and his parents going to Jerusalem for the feast of Passover when he was twelve and him staying behind in the Temple even after his parents left.  Jesus was there for three days teaching and talking with teachers. His parents were so worried and when Mary expressed her concern, Jesus said, "Didn't you know I was doing the work of my Father?. 

This story always stands out for me because as an elementary school teacher, I always think how horrible his parents must have felt.  I have always been a big field trip proponent and talk my students all over the Bronx and Manhattan and even to Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island because they can learn so much outside of the classroom walls.  But I would be heartbroken if I ever lost one and I am vigilant about keeping on top of their movements on trips especially when on the subway.

I pray today for all Missing Children and their parents.  Jesus, please watch over them and return them to those who love them and please provide their parents with some peace and comfort.

Sr. Jeannie Humphries, osu

No comments:

Post a Comment