Friday, October 8, 2010

Motivation and Falling in Love

Today I spent the day at Fordham University/Lincoln Center attempting to work on my dissertation for a PhD in Language, Literacy and Learning. My dissertation is going to deal with the topics of students' motivation and the types of questions asked when reading. Therefore I spent some time researching motivation and looking at different assessment measures regarding motivation. I have to admit I began to get frustrated and wondered if I will ever write this paper and finish this degree. Then I started praying and reflecting on what motivated me to get this degree. I thought about all the children I have taught and.or teach now and how their education and learning process is so important to me. It's what got me interested in going on for a higher degree and what will keep my butt in a chair typing and researching. I decided to take a mental break and write a piece for our Ursuline Blog and when I was thinking of what to do, the following poem came to mind. It sure speaks volumes. Enjoy!!
Falling In Love With God

Nothing is more practical than finding God,
that is, than falling in love
in a quite absolute, final way.
What you are in love with,
what seizes your imagination,
will affect everything.
It will decide what will get you
out of bed in the morning,
what you will do with your evenings,
how you will spend your weekends
what you read, who you know,
what breaks your heart,
and what amazes you
with joy and gratitude.
Fall in love, stay in love,
and it will decide everything.
~ Pedro Arrupe, S.J.

Sr. Jeannie Humphries, osu

No comments:

Post a Comment