Friday, January 6, 2017

The Epiphany of the Lord

Today in many parts of our world the Solemnity of the Epiphany of the Lord Jesus, also known as “Little Christmasis celebrated.  In the Eastern Christian Churches, the Epiphany is celebrated on January 6 and is as big a feast as, if not bigger than, Christmas.  

The word “epiphany” comes from the Greek word, Epiphania, which means “a shining upon” and it is sometimes translated as “manifestation.”  For this is the day when tradition holds that the three wise men came from afar to pay homage to the Christ child.  This is a day when the gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh were presented to the child Jesus as he lay in the manger.   These gifts were a foreshadowing of the events to come later in Jesus’ life.


As we reflect on this solemnity today let us reflect on the following questions:  How have I experienced the Light of Christ shining upon me?  What have I done when I have been energized by the Light of Christ?  How have I let the Light shine through me to others?  What more can I do to help enlighten others?  Let our answers bring about a renewed sense of the joy of Christmas when Christ came into the world to dispel the darkness and bring us light!  May we always be the light of Christ for all to see.

Pat Schifini, OSU

No comments:

Post a Comment