Thursday, April 15, 2010

Freedom of Religion

As part of my ministry in education, I work with children with special needs through The Cooke Center for Learning and Development (www.cookecenter.org).

Yesterday, I was in one of our schools and the teacher was teaching the students about why the Pilgrims left England to come to America. She kept stressing to them the religious freedom piece. The children then each shared a bit about their religions.

As I got off the subway and waited for the bus, I was struck by all the different religions I saw walking by me. There was an Orthodox Jewish family with the men and boys wearing yarmulkes and girls wearing long black skirts, a Muslim woman and her 3 daughers with their head scarfs, 2 nuns in habits and a man on the corner standing on a box stating Come Be Saved By the Lord. Then I was there in my professional work clothes. It was just so alive with everyone!!!

How do you experience the freedom of religion offered by our country?

No comments:

Post a Comment