Sunday, December 4, 2016

Second Sunday of Advent

Advent is a time of preparation. We prepare to celebrate Christmas when we commemorate the first coming of Christ at the Incarnation some 2,000 years ago.  As I prayed today I kept recalling the song “Prepare the Way of the Lord.  It is a simple mantra that says, “Prepare the way of the Lord, prepare the way of the Lord, and all people shall see the salvation of our God.”  This is a perfect mantra for this busy Advent season. 

As I continued praying I was struck by the power of this simple song and it brought me back to the essentials of Advent.  Perhaps it is in the busyness that we need to take time to pause and reflect on what are we doing to prepare for Christmas.  I am not referring to what we are doing materially I am referring to spiritually.  We need to take time to pause and prepare spiritually for the coming of Christ at Christmas.  It may be as simple as just taking time to pray for someone in need or the needs of our world.  Let us embrace this season of Advent as a true opportunity to reflect more and be attentive to the God who loves us beyond all that we can imagine or hope for.


Pat Schifini, OSU


No comments:

Post a Comment