Thursday, September 20, 2012

Stretching


For the past few months, I've had to be involved in physical therapy-first for my back, then for my knee and now for my neck. I'm not really sure what happened other than I did have a fall and hurt my back and now there appears to be a bulging disc which I guess is causing my body to be out of whack and alignment.

 
First of all, let me just say, I'm so overwhelmed by the time and energy that is required to do the simple exercises and routines of applying heat and massage, stretching and moving, then holding the stretch, next doing it a number of times and finally applying ice and ending with putting on BioFreeze. I know it's important but I have to admit it is beginning to become a big of a drag.

However, I'm struck too by how much better I feel after taking the time to do the exercises and routines and go to the physical therapist.

As I've mentioned before I'm a real head person-I teach, and am in the process of writing a dissertation so much of my day is spent concentrating with my brain on reading, thinking, and writing. I honestly am finding this year I'm being asked to stretch my thoughts both for the teaching of graduate classes and my writing. I have to say I like this kind of stretching where I'm stretching my mind- I find it a challenge and believe it's important.

My body though is now beginning to get through to my mind and making me realize that I also need to physically stretch the body; mental stretching is not the only kind I should be doing.

Stretching both the mind and body-those are becoming part of my daily routine!! I also am beginning to see their importance and relevance.



In what way, are you being asked to stretch today?

Sr. Jeannie, osu

No comments:

Post a Comment