Sunday, March 19, 2023

Fourth Sunday of Lent

 

Today we celebrate the fourth Sunday of Lent.  It is called Laetare Sunday. We are mid-way through Lent and on this day, the Church expresses hope and joy in the midst of our Lenten fasts and penances. Laetare means rejoice and the theme comes from the entrance antiphon reflecting on Isaiah 66:10-11: "Rejoice, Jerusalem, and all who love her. Be joyful, all who were in mourning; exalt and be satisfied at her consoling breast."

The priest wears pink or rose-colored vestments, symbolizing hope and the joy that awaits us at the resurrection. This Sunday, let us keep in our hearts, the joy that awaits us on Easter and find hope in the promise of the Resurrection!

This Monday, March 20th, we celebrate the Solemnity of Saint Joseph. (Although his feast day is March 19th, it has been transferred to Monday because the 19th falls on a Sunday this year.) It is interesting to note that everything we know about the husband of Mary and the foster father of Jesus comes from Scripture; but Joseph does not utter a word. His silent obedience and trust in God's providence, makes him shine as a model for us in our everyday trials.

Saint Joseph is the patron saint of the Universal Church, of families, fathers, expectant mothers, travelers, immigrants, house sellers and buyers, craftsmen, engineers, working people, and of the dying because it is assumed that he died before Jesus' public life, with Jesus and Mary beside him.

Let us pray.

Saint Joseph, be with me today as I offer my requests to the Father. Let me recognize God's will as I open my hands to accept what God bestows in loving kindness.  With tenderness, God fills creation with life and love.  Open my eyes to the wonders that God works without ceasing.  Let me learn the true intention behind my request so that I may discover within myself the lowly one that God commends. Amen.


 




No comments:

Post a Comment