Sunday, March 13, 2022

Second Sunday of Lent

 

In this Sunday’s Gospel, we hear the story of Jesus’ Transfiguration. During our Lenten journey, we are called to be transformed and hear God’s voice tell us, “This is my beloved Son, listen to him.” Like those first disciples, we can become afraid, but we acknowledge how good it is to be here with the Lord. 

When I began my prayer today, I was overwhelmed by images and thoughts of Ukraine.  I could not get the people out of my mind.  I found myself struggling with trying to connect the Transfiguration with the reality of our world today.  Fear of a third world war, possibility of a nuclear attack, and the images of the bombings so close to Poland caused me to wonder.  As I prayed, I found comfort in the idea of God’s promise to always be with us.  Somehow no matter where we are God is with us.  I kept trying to focus on that during my prayer.  I know I desire a nonviolent solution, but I also am realistic enough to know that may not be possible.  What is essential is that I keep praying for all those situations I find myself bombarded with.

During this Lenten season as we fast and pray let us take time to listen to Jesus in prayer and find the time and space for silence.  Fasting from those activities and noises that so easily distract us can help us find that time and space to spend with Jesus.  Let this Lenten season transform our hearts and minds toward love and peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment