Sunday, February 14, 2021

Sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time

 

A leper came to Jesus and kneeling down begged him and said, “If you wish, you can make me clean.”  Moved with pity, he stretched out his hand, touched him, and said to him, “I do will it. Be made clean.”  The leprosy left him immediately, and he was made clean.  Then, warning him sternly, he dismissed him at once. He said to him, “See that you tell no one anything, but go, show yourself to the priest and offer for your cleansing what Moses prescribed; that will be proof for them.”

The man went away and began to publicize the whole matter.  He spread the report abroad so that it was impossible for Jesus to enter a town openly.  He remained outside in deserted places, and people kept coming to him from everywhere. Matthew 1: 40 - 45

Whenever I hear this story, I often find myself asking myself what are the things that I am ashamed of? What are the things I hide from?  What causes me to be distant from God?  Like the leper we must be courageous and willing to place ourselves in God’s presence.  He needed healing and was willing to ask Jesus for help.  We get to know God by bringing our brokenness to God and not trying to have it all together to seek help.  God accepts us in our need and with all our vulnerability.

“Moved with pity, Jesus stretched out his hand, touched him, and said to him, ‘I do will it. Be made clean.’” When Jesus reached out and touched a leper, he reached across every boundary and did something totally unexpected.  Jesus is always willing to do the same for us.   All we need to do is ask and be willing to embrace our weaknesses and vulnerabilities.

Today we also celebrate Valentines Day.  It is a day where we celebrate love.  Let us acknowledge all our loved ones this year in a special way.  It has been a difficult year for all.  May our hearts and homes be filled with love, peace and joy this day and always.  Happy Valentines Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment